Host a film screening on Hoovie
Hosting a Hoovie pop-up cinema experience gains you access not only to an awesome film, but also interesting, new people who love to watch movies and share your curiosity about the world. It’s also a fun way to make a bit of cash or fundraise for a cause.
Through Hoovie, just about anyone can host a private film screening in their home, work place, art studio, church, rooftop or backyard.
Select a film from Hoovie’s catalog, set your location and capacity, and let guests book a spot on your couch. (Don’t forget the snacks!)
Why host a Hoovie?
- Make some extra $
Hoovie ticket sales support hosts to bring people together more often by covering hospitality expenses, investments in quality AV equipment and perhaps even rent!
- Host a mini-crowdfunder
Movie screenings easily become low/no-cost fundraisers with Hoovie. Hosts simply click the box to donate their cut of the “box office” to an aligned cause associated with the film.
- Support the arts
Making a living as an indie filmmaker is harder than ever before. Hoovie hosts wanting to support artists to continue their work can choose to give their cut to the filmmaker.
How much work is involved in hosting a Hoovie?
Screenings can be in tiny venues for tiny crowds – say, 5 people in a condo living room – or in larger venues for sizable crowds – say, 70 people in a church sanctuary.
At a minimum, your job as the host entails: creating an event listing on the Hoovie site, sending out some invites (the Hoovie team also promotes the screening), testing your AV equipment and internet connection, pressing play, smiling occasionally, and then submitting a rating of the experience afterwards.
Anything else you do beyond that is going to make the experience that much more magic.
How do ticket sales work?
Ticket sales are all done through the platform in advance (no cash at the door).
We believe compensating people who build community (hosts) and create art (filmmakers) is essential to a healthy society, so:
- Hosts receive 50% of each ticket sold, which they may keep (perhaps, to pay for food/bev or invest in new AV equipment) or click to donate back to the filmmaker or Aligned Cause*)
- Film owners (filmmaker or distributor, depending on the film) receive 30% of each ticket sold; and
- Hoovie keeps 20%.
* Aligned Cause: For many of the films in our catalog, Hoovie selects a community partner who is doing great work relevant to the film (e.g. Indigenous Climate Action is the aligned cause for Fractured Land). Hosts can click to send their “cut” of the box office to that organization automatically, and indicate to guests where proceeds from ticket sales will be going.
How to host a Hoovie screening
- Create a profile (only takes a minute).
- Choose a film from the catalog and click “Host a Screening.”
- Set the ticket price, based on:
- how comfy and/or fancy the space is (and whether you have to pay to use it)
- the quality of your AV equipment (HD projector? Surround sound?)
- what you will or won’t provide (popcorn? beer and tacos? potluck? BYOB?)
- what your guests will/can pay
- your fundraising goals (if you decide not to keep the host’s “cut” from ticket sales).
- Decide whether you want to keep your cut of the box office (50%) or donate it to the filmmaker or the selected cause.
- Share some details about the event, the space and what your goals are.
- Click submit and look for next steps in your inbox.
Beyond screening films, Hoovie hosts create magical experiences for tiny audiences. So think about how you can treat your guests to a special time – whether that’s through the snacks you provide, mood lighting or the warm way you welcome each person who walks through your door.
What kind of AV equipment do I need?
That’s up to you really. We love to watch a film on a projector and screen with quality surround sound speakers, but you know what? A decent-size TV can offer a great experience too. Just consider pegging your ticket price to the quality of the viewing experience.