Featuring relevant-as-ever festival hits from years past, hosted by Tom Charity – curator at the VIFF Centre
Hoovie Movie Clubs is a lot more than just watching movies with people. We’re creating belonging in society though film and gatherings. And for you personally, joining a movie club is an incredible way to meet new people, connect and build community. It’s about seeing the same people again and again, and having conversations about life, through the medium of film.
We’re thrilled to announce Archive Club, vol. 1 featuring relevant-as-ever festival hits from years past, hosted by the one and only Tom Charity, head curator for the Vancouver International Film Festival (VIFF) Vancity Theatre in Vancouver. This is our second movie club in partnership with acclaimed indie distributor Films We Like.
In case you’re wondering, you definitely do not need to be a cinephile to attend this movie club. If you’ve never heard of these films, even better!
And… if you join part/mid way through, that’s just perfect. We’d love to meet you! (In other words, no need to start from the beginning whatsoever.)
How it works is: You have three weeks to watch each film before we come together for a virtual face-to-face conversation. In addition, Tom will send around notes on each film to ponder before our conversation. (If you can’t make the Monday gathering, we’ll send you a recording.)
Pay-what-you-want prices: Pay as low as $12 for each film + conversation. (You also have the option to pay to only watch the film.)
Archive Club, vol. 1 films:
- Nov 29: Broken Circle Breakdown (TRAILER + TICKETS) – A topsy-turvy bluegrass-infused love story; a boisterous, heart-wrenching movie that will have you smiling through your tears. (Viewing window: Nov 8-29)
- Dec 20: Things to Come (TRAILER + TICKETS) – A French drama about the human condition, surrendering to what is, and finding oneself in middle age. (Viewing window: Nov 29-Dec 20)
- Jan 10: Force Majeure (TRAILER + TICKETS) – Part riveting Swedish drama, part dark comedy – about a father and husband whose world crumbles around him. (Viewing window: Dec 20-Jan 10)
- Jan 31: Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives (TRAILER + TICKETS) – Spirit, animal, and human worlds coexist in dreamy harmony in this remarkable Thai drama. (Viewing window: Jan 10-31)
- Feb 21: The Divine Order (TRAILER + TICKETS) – this rousing movie takes on the fight for women’s suffrage in Switzerland. (Viewing window: Jan 31-Feb 21)
- March 14: Court (TRAILER + TICKETS) – an absurdist portrait of injustice, caste prejudice, and venal politics in contemporary India. (Viewing window: Feb 21-March 14)
Interested in hosting a Hoovie screening or movie club yourself?
Initially we are testing how Hoovie movie experiences can operate on Side Door, so the user experience will bridge both platforms. Hosts will continue to browse the Hoovie film catalog on our site, while ticketing and streaming will happen through Side Door. (Check out our current screenings and clubs here!)
Any questions, concerns, feedback? Reach out! We’d be happy to talk anything through.